Homemade blackberry simple syrup is an easy and delicious way to add fruity blackberry flavor to cocktails, sodas and sweets!
Blackberry syrup also makes a great homemade substitute for grenadine! (We use it to make a scrumptious Blackberry Shirley Temple!) You can use this recipe in any mocktails or cocktails calling for simple syrup or grenadine.
This syrup is made from equal parts of fresh blackberries, granulated sugar and water.
How To Make This Recipe
Homemade blackberry syrup is a quick and simple recipe. Here's how it's done:
1. Start by mashing fresh blackberries in the bottom of a small sauce pot.
2. Then, add the sugar and water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
3. After simmering, set the syrup aside and allow to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth.
That's it! The berry simple syrup is ready to be used immediately or stored for later.
Serving Suggestions & Drink Ideas
Blackberry simple syrup is a great way to add fresh berry flavor and pretty purple coloring to various drinks and desserts. Use this syrup in place of simple syrup or grenadine in any of your favorite recipes. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Blackberry Shirley Temple - This delicious mocktail gives a pretty, sophisticated twist to a childhood favorite!
- Blackberry Lemonade - Fresh lemon juice, water, and blackberry syrup - Perfect for hot Summer days!
- Blackberry Vodka Sodas - Like Whiteclaw, but better!
- Blackberry Lemon Drop Martinis
- Blackberry Bellinis - Just pour a splash in some Prosecco!
- Blackberry Basil Smash - Delicious with gin or whiskey!
- Blackberry Vanilla Sundaes - Fruit syrups make for a yummy ice cream topping! Try it with our Old Fashioned Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and fresh berries!
If you love berry drinks, be sure to check out our Blackberry Bee's Knees recipe too!
How Long Does Blackberry Syrup Last?
Store this syrup in a mason jar in the refrigerator for up to one week. Shake well before serving.
Other Homemade Syrup Recipes...
We love making flavorful syrups to spice up our cocktails. Check out these other simple syrup recipes, too.
If you make this recipe, please leave us a star rating and let us know your favorite ways to use blackberry syrup in the comments below!
- 1 Cheesecloth
- 1 Fine-Mesh Strainer
- 8 ounces blackberries
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Cup water
- Gather, measure and prepare the Blackberry Syrup ingredients as listed. In a small saucepan, mash the blackberries using a muddler or fork. Add sugar and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Set syrup aside and allow to cool to room-temperature. Strain the syrup through a cheesecloth lined fine-mesh strainer. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
*Unless otherwise noted, foodworthfeed recipes are developed using Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt. If using iodized or table salt, reduce quantities by about half.