This Plum Rum Old Fashioned is a delicious Summer sipper! This fruity play on a classic cocktail uses aged dark rum, homemade Plum Syrup and a dash of bitters!
This cocktail is a great way to celebrate plum season with a delicious, festive beverage! Check out our How To video for a quick, visual demonstration!
How To Make This Cocktail
This simple Plum Rum Old Fashioned is easy to make and even easier to drink! Check out this little video:
Choosing a Rum
When you think of rum, you may be thinking of coconuts, palm trees and tiki drinks... and while that depiction would certainly be accurate - that's not all rum has to offer. In fact, many rums have power, age and complexity that is comparable to a fine bourbon.
We recommend choosing a high-quality dark rum that has been aged in oak. Oak compliments rums natural sweetness (it is made from sugar cane, after all) with notes of vanilla and aromatic baking spices. Some of our favorite rums to use in this Plum Rum Old Fashioned recipe include Ron Zacapa 23, Appleton Estate 8 Year and Plantation Grand Reserve 5 Year.
This Rum Old Fashioned recipe calls for a Homemade Plum Syrup. The Plum Syrup recipe is easy to make with fresh plums, sugar and water.
We have included this recipe below but, for the full instructions, flavoring variations and other serving suggestions - check out the full post. Also, be sure to check out our entire collection of homemade syrups for more cocktail inspiration.
More Cocktail Recipes To Love
Check out these other craft cocktails or head straight to the cocktail category for more original recipes.
If you make this recipe, please leave us a star rating below!
Plum Rum Old Fashioned - (An Easy Plum Syrup Cocktail)
- Yari (or equivlent mixing vessel)
- Bar spoon
- Cocktail Strainer
Plum Rum Old Fashioned (1 Cocktail)
- 2 ounces dark rum
- ¾ ounce Plum Syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Ice as needed for stirring and serving
- 1 plum wedge optional for garnish
Plum Syrup (15+ Cocktails)
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Cup filtered water
- 8 ounces plums (About 4 plums) washed, pitted, sliced
Plum Rum Old Fashioned
- Gather, measure and prepare the Plum Rum Old Fashioned ingredients as listed. To view metric measurements, toggle the US Customary/Metric switch at the top of this recipe card.
- Add rum, Plum Syrup and bitters to a yari (or similar stirring vessel). Add ice and use a bar spoon to stir for 30 seconds. See our How To Make Plum Rum Old Fashioned video for a visual demonstrarion.
- Strain cocktail into a clean glass with fresh ice. (We like to use a large ice cube so slow dillution.) Garnish with a plum wedge, if using. Cheers!
- Gather, measure and prepare the Plum Syrup ingredients as listed.
- In a small saucepan, dissolve sugar in water over medium-high heat. Once sugar is dissolved, add sliced plums and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- With a standard or immersion blender, puree Plum Syrup until smooth. Strain syrup through a fine mesh strainer. We like to strain our syrup twice, to remove any fine particles.
- Allow syrup to cool to room-temperature. Use syrup in this Plum Rum Old Fashioned recipe immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. This recipe makes enough syrup for 15+ cocktails. For more information and other serving suggestion ideas, check out the full Plum Syrup recipe post, here.
*Unless otherwise noted, foodworthfeed recipes are developed using Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt. If using iodized or table salt, reduce quantities by about half.
Leave a Reply